Programmer or Developer
Join our digital transformation! Our IT team is in house and has over 300 people dedicated to delivering innovative solutions to improve the well being of Canadians. There is never an “every day” and that is what keeps life here exciting. You will need to use strong problem-solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication to have successful outcomes in your every day. Whether your passion is back end, front end, UX, Cloud services or knowing what’s next – there’s a team at Medavie Blue Cross working on it.
Data is transforming the world and our business, and Data Analysts are in demand. All corporate functions are seeking strong data analysts to build, maintain and make sense of reports. You could look to optimize systems, predict future health trends, or analyze sales transactions, there are no limits.
Welcome to Medavie Blue Cross
When does Medavie Blue Cross hire students?
Our largest hiring volume is in the Summer; we do hire co-op in the Fall and Winter terms and those timelines vary based on institution
We usually post our positions in February
Applications are due by end of March. Interviews begin now!
Interviews continue in April.
Offers are extended by May
Onboard in early June
I’m going into my third year at UNB in the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology program on a pre-medical stream (a mouthful, I know). This is my second summer at Medavie and I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to explore two different departments.
In 2018 I was a summer student claims analyst in CIC, analyzing and paying immigration claims. This summer I’m working in the Workflow department getting to do everything from E-claims to prepping claims to delivering the mail. During my time in CIC, I was shown so many medical claims of all sorts, and I loved getting to read about the treatments being provided (I want to be a doctor or physiotherapist so I love anything medical related)! Down in Workflow, I still get to see those interesting medical claims, but instead of paying them I now prep them which is cool. I also have a really versatile role, and everyday I’m doing something new!
- Miranda Bowser
Who can apply for a student position?
- There are two ways we hire students; for a “Student” term position, anyone enrolled in a post-secondary education can apply. We accepted applications from Universities, Community Colleges and online programs. You can be in your first or final year of study!
- We also hire co-op students; those roles are typically posted directly with the Universities who support co-op programs
What skills do you look for?
- Every team has different technical requirements they want to see demonstrated in your program of study. We’ll list those specifically per job posting.
- Other things we look for are people who align to our core values (Caring/Innovative/Accountable/Responsive/Community Minded). We love to see participation in school clubs, sports, volunteering in the community or work experience that’s given you good customer focus. We seek life long learners, problem solvers and team players. Most of all, we look to students to bring their new ideas and eagerness to learn to contribute to our teams
Why would I want to do my work term at MBC?
- Along with Medavie Health Services, our mission is to Improve the Wellbeing of Canadians. You’ll help us achieve that goal in a meaningful way.
- We’ve been in the industry over 75 years, so you’ll work with some of the best in the business.
- We’re a large, complex corporate structure so you can learn from everyone. You’ll have a mentor when you come onboard but gain access to a large internal network to build your experience.
- Think Insurance is boring? Not while we continue digitizing our tools, growing our market and creating innovative solutions to bring healthcare products to Canadians across the country. All while maintaining work life balance and countless opportunities for growth
How can I stand out in an interview?
Everyone gets nervous before an interview; we’re really trying to know you better and have a conversation. You’ll be asked a mix of competency questions and technical questions and we find using the STAR method for answering really let’s us know what you can do.
- Situation – set the tone and tell us the context
- Task – what were your responsibilities and action items
- Action – explain what you did
- Result – what was the result
Want to really wow us? Do some research on our products. Follow us on LinkedIn to understand how we’re becoming thought leaders in the industry. Let us know if you’ve used our services in the past. Speak to our values. Ask us questions!
Do you ever hire students full time?
It’s not uncommon that we hire past students, or students in their final work term. Whenever possible, we love to see our students become permanent members of our teams! When not, we want to give direct experience and feedback to help you develop