Student Career Paths
The first step in your future is finding a career path that’s right for you. Your degree is just one of the important assets you bring with you when applying for work. At Medavie Blue Cross, we want to help you on your journey.
Learn more about career trajectories with Medavie Blue Cross to find the opportunity that fits you.
When does Medavie Blue Cross hire students?
We are always looking for passionate people to join our team! We hire during the summer, fall, and winter terms.
Positions are posted
Applications are due
Offers are extended
Placements and training begin
Our achievements at Medavie Blue Cross are directly related to the successes of each and every one of our employees. Our people define us as a company and we are honoured to have them recognized for the following awards:
Who can apply for a student position?
- There are two ways we hire students; for a “Student” term position, anyone enrolled in a post-secondary education can apply. We accepted applications from Universities, Community Colleges and online programs. You can be in your first or final year of study!
- We also hire co-op students; those roles are typically posted directly with the Universities who support co-op programs
What skills do you look for?
- Every team has different technical requirements they want to see demonstrated in your program of study. We’ll list those specifically per job posting.
- Other things we look for are people who align to our core values (Caring/Innovative/Accountable/Responsive/Community Minded). We love to see participation in school clubs, sports, volunteering in the community or work experience that’s given you good customer focus. We seek life long learners, problem solvers and team players. Most of all, we look to students to bring their new ideas and eagerness to learn to contribute to our teams
Why would I want to do my work term at MBC?
- Along with Medavie Health Services, our mission is to Improve the Wellbeing of Canadians. You’ll help us achieve that goal in a meaningful way.
- We’ve been in the industry over 75 years, so you’ll work with some of the best in the business.
- We’re a large, complex corporate structure so you can learn from everyone. You’ll have a mentor when you come onboard but gain access to a large internal network to build your experience.
- Think Insurance is boring? Not while we continue digitizing our tools, growing our market and creating innovative solutions to bring healthcare products to Canadians across the country. All while maintaining work life balance and countless opportunities for growth
How can I stand out in an interview?
Everyone gets nervous before an interview; we’re really trying to know you better and have a conversation. You’ll be asked a mix of competency questions and technical questions and we find using the STAR method for answering really let’s us know what you can do.
- Situation – set the tone and tell us the context
- Task – what were your responsibilities and action items
- Action – explain what you did
- Result – what was the result
Want to really wow us? Do some research on our products. Follow us on LinkedIn to understand how we’re becoming thought leaders in the industry. Let us know if you’ve used our services in the past. Speak to our values. Ask us questions!
Is there a chance I'll get hired on after my placement?
It’s not uncommon that we hire past students, or students in their final work term. Whenever possible, we love to see our students become permanent members of our teams! When not, we want to give direct experience and feedback to help you develop