Our Key Strengths
Optional Benefits is a leading digital insurance platform delivered by Canada’s most trusted brand. Fully integrated with your benefit plan, delivered by a dedicated service team focused on you and your members. And you can do it without any work for you or cost to your organization.
Flexible Product Offering
Choose from our continually expanding suite of products for what you want to make available to your plan members so they can select the coverage that meets their needs.
Traditional competitor options can be a challenge to administer. While highly valued by plan members, overburdening administrators with products that are difficult to enrol in and a challenge to communicate clearly often results in plan members not securing the coverage they want and need.
We’ve created a new approach—one that makes life easy for the plan sponsor and the member.
How Plan Sponsors Benefit
- Optional Benefits gives your members the added coverage, choice and flexibility they value.
- We offer industry leading digital insurance solutions and configurable product selection.
- No administration burden for you associated with payroll deduction or managing coverage amounts.
- Detailed communications and education plan for your members.
- No paper forms or signatures required.
- Access to a dedicated Optional Benefits Account Executive within your existing Medavie Blue Cross team.
How Plan Members Benefit
- Access valuable coverage that suits their needs, at lower group rates.
- Sign-up is simple, fast and secure, on any computer or mobile device.
- They can choose their preferred payment method (credit card or pre-authorized debit).
- No medical questions or exams up to certain dollar amounts during open enrolments and at hire.
- Members can access coverage info, beneficiaries and more on the Medavie Mobile app.
- Conversion options available for those who lose group coverage.
With Optional Benefits, we look after communicating with your members about this opportunity, as well as the entire purchase and administration process. We provide them their unique site and access code to sign up for the coverage they want and also work with you to provide customized plan member support, education plans, and communications.
Digital Access – Optional Benefits is fully integrated with our industry-leading Medavie Blue Cross mobile app, giving your members quick and easy access from their smartphone.
Flexibility – Coverage provides 100% tax-free, lump-sum cash payments to spend as they choose in their time of need—no questions asked! Critical Illness Insurance also covers 36 conditions—a lot more than most companies.
Group Rates – As an employee of your organization, they qualify for rates that are typically lower than you might find on your own, all without requiring a medical questionnaire.
Fast and easy process – They can sign up in minutes at medaviebc.ca/optional, with payment by pre-authorized debit or credit card.
Accessible - During the enrolment period, they can apply for Optional Benefits, with no medical questions asked, up to certain dollar amounts.
Choice - They can choose the benefits and the coverage amounts that is right for them and their family.
Our team would love to work with you on how best to leverage Optional Benefits in your business.
To discuss adding Optional Benefits to your plan, speak to your Medavie Blue Cross representative or contact us:
Atlantic and Ontario
The Blue Cross symbol and name are registered trademarks of the Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans, used under licence by Medavie Blue Cross, an independent licensee of the Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans. Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada underwrites all life and income replacement benefits.