Mental Health Care at Your Fingertips
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected nearly every aspect of our lives, including our mental health.
If you’ve experienced a rollercoaster of emotions over the past year, you’re not alone. There’s even a name for it — the “Coronacoaster” — to describe the ups and downs many of us are going through in this time of great change and uncertainty. One day we’re baking banana bread and Zooming with friends. The next day, we’re stuck to the couch, sobbing over Hallmark movies.
Mood swings are natural responses to the social distancing and isolation that have accompanied this global health crisis. However, when those negative emotions persist, and interfering with your daily activities, it might be time to seek professional help.
So how can you do this safely, securely, and remotely?
In early 2020, Medavie Blue Cross added phone or video counselling as a covered service for plans that offer our psychology benefit. That has made it easier to access this care, either from a local provider or a virtual service.
Introducing Live Therapy
Now, to make accessing that virtual care even easier, we have launched Live Therapy through our Connected Care* digital health platform. It’s a form of psychotherapy that literally puts mental health care at your fingertips.
Using your computer or mobile device, you can connect with a licensed therapist through an online platform for one-on-one, tele-video consultations — all from the comfort and privacy of your home.
We have partnered with the leader in virtual mental health support, MindBeacon, for this convenient, one-stop, made-in-Canada solution that removes common barriers to mental health care: geography, stigma, and lack of access to a mental health specialist.
Think of it as the modern version of house call or telehealth for mental health.
How Live Therapy works
Live Therapy sessions provide real-time, face-to-face counselling and wellness education services — wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you. It’s your health, your way.
As an alternative, MindBeacon offers a 12-week, Therapist Guided Program, allowing you to log in anytime, anywhere for treatment. The Therapist Guided Program is appropriate for members aged 16 and older experiencing mild to severe symptoms of mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, panic, post-traumatic stress, and insomnia.
Drawing on MindBeacon’s deep clinical knowledge and expertise, both online services use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) techniques that are proven to be as effective as in-person treatments for depression — even moderate to severe depression.
MindBeacon’s therapists use these evidenced-based techniques help people deal with relationship issues, adjust to sudden life changes, manage COVID-19-related stress, and more.
It’s easy to access the Live Therapy service
If you think you, or a loved one, could benefit from this treatment, here’s how to take the next steps on your journey to better mental health.
- In your Medavie Blue Cross Mobile app, tap the Connected Care icon at the top of your screen. If you’re on your computer, just log in at the top of this page and click the blue Connected Care banner.
- Once you’re on the Connected Care platform, select the Digital Therapy category.
- Navigate to the MindBeacon provider and click on Learn More.
- You’ll be brought to MindBeacon’s website where you can sign up for MindBeacon’s Live Therapy program.
- Schedule a session on a date and time that best works for you.
- Connect with the therapist by live video or phone.
A few important details
- Sessions are 50 minutes and are available with either a Registered Social Worker or Psychologist
- Information on MindBeacon’s site will help you choose between Live Therapy or a therapist-guided program.
- Most plans that offer Extended Health Benefits coverage will reimburse you for either of these services, up to your benefit plan’s maximum
- Live Therapy sessions are not recorded. For either type of counselling, your information is strictly confidential, and MindBeacon is compliant with the highest security standards.
- MindBeacon was one of the first Canadian companies to offer a digital mental health option and has helped thousands of Canadians to become happier and more productive. In fact, four out of five users reported an improvement in their mental health after completing online therapy through their platform.
We are pleased to provide new ways of helping you get the care you need — when, where and how you choose to access it.
*Connected Care is not available for some plans.