Skip to main content

My child is turning 21—can I keep them on my plan?

If you've purchased a personal health plan and a dependent on your plan is about to turn 21, they can continue to qualify as a dependent if they are a full-time student—that means taking a minimum of three courses per term at an accredited institution, college or university—and their provincial medicare coverage remains in effect. You must notify us no later than 60 days past your dependent's 21st birthday; past that time, they'll need to be underwritten to be added again to your plan.

A child over the age of 21 can also continue to qualify as a dependent on your plan if they are reliant on you for care due to mental or physical disability. Please contact us for more information.