Medavie Inc. and its subsidiary companies are committed to providing innovative and reliable solutions that will improve the wellbeing of Canadians. Our role as a trusted health solutions partner includes protecting the privacy and security of all personal information in our care.
This privacy statement explains how Medavie Inc. and its subsidiary companies (collectively, "Medavie," "we," or "us,") collect, use, disclose, and retain your personal information. Our privacy practices are subject to applicable privacy laws in the places in which we operate. Note that we provide different or additional privacy notices in connection with certain activities, programs, and services that may supplement or clarify our privacy practices and may provide you with additional choices about your personal information.
Ensuring the confidentiality of client information has always been fundamental to the way we do business, and our staff takes the privacy policies and procedures we have in place to ensure that confidentiality very seriously. When handling personal information, we abide by the following corporate privacy practices:
The personal information we gather from you
- We collect your personal information when you apply for and use our products and services, for claims processing and when you otherwise interact with us. We only collect personal information that is required or related to providing our products and services, and to allow us to better understand how we can support you.
- The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us and could include contact information such as your name and email address; demographic information such as your birth date; health and medical data; financial information, and other information that may identify you.
- If you are visiting us online or using a mobile app, we may also collect information about your browsing activities and preferences. This information allows us to track online usage and improve our visitor experience. For more information, please review our Online Privacy Statement.
What we do with your personal information
- Medavie is committed to protecting your personal information. We only use and share your personal information when needed to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected or for related purposes. We may only use or share your personal information for another purpose if you have consented to it or if it is required or permitted by law. Depending on your relationship with us, this may include sharing personal information with our service providers.
- Your information may be shared with Medavie employees or service providers in jurisdictions other than where it was collected. If you are a resident of Quebec, this includes transferring or disclosing your personal information to Medavie employees or service providers outside Quebec.
- We may use your personal information to better understand your needs and to identify and recommend suitable products and services that we offer, which may be of interest to you. Your personal information will never be shared with any individuals or organizations with the intent to market products or services to you without first obtaining your consent.
- Your personal information will only be kept as long as it is needed, based on the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by law. When it is no longer needed, your personal information will be securely destroyed or made anonymous.
- Medavie aims to ensure your personal information is kept up-to-date and accurate so that we may best fulfill the purposes for which it is needed.
- Medavie complies with all applicable privacy legislation and follows industry best practices to ensure the protection of all personal information collected, used and shared. An internal team is accountable for the protection of personal information, under the oversight of Medavie’s Chief Privacy Officer.
- With some exceptions, we require your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information. You may withdraw your consent for our use or sharing of your personal information if there are no legal or contractual requirements that prevent it. However, withdrawing your consent may impact Medavie’s ability to provide you with certain products or services that may be useful to you and/or your dependents.
- Upon written request, Medavie will provide you with reasonable access to your personal information as required or permitted by law. You can also review the accuracy and completeness of your information and you may request that it be amended or deleted, if appropriate or permitted by law. For more information on your rights of access and correction, please refer to the detailed privacy statements for our operating companies at the links below.
Questions or concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns about Medavie’s privacy policies or practices, including any privacy-related complaint, please address your concerns in writing to:
Chief Privacy Officer
Medavie Blue Cross
644 Main Street
PO Box 220
Moncton, NB E1C 8L3
E-mail: [email protected]